Best Beagle Puppy Food
Beagles are energetic, friendly, and protective dogs that make excellent companions for adults and kids of all ages. They enjoy playing and socializing, though they can be stubborn, which requires dog owners to use patient techniques and positive reinforcement training when they are puppies. Beagles were initially bred as scenthounds and efficient hunters for small prey, such as rabbits.
While Beagles are generally healthy and robust small breed dogs, they require a well-balanced diet of protein, omega fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals to support their active lifestyle and maintain good health from the early stages into advanced adulthood.
We chose a quality selection of the best commercial dog food for Beagle puppies, including dog food formulas with well-sourced ingredients, quality texture, taste, and good value for the cost.
Best Small Dog Breed Puppy Food for Beagles
Royal Canin Size Health Nutritional Small Puppy dog food is a well-balanced formula designed for small breed dogs, including Beagles, during the first ten to twelve months.
Manufacturer: Royal Canin
Product Dimensions: 3.5 x 14 x 24 inches (13 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken fat, chicken meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp, fish oil, vegetable oil, salt, calcium, wheat gluten, vitamins B12, B1, D3, C, E, L-carnitine, rosemary extract, salt, potassium chloride, taurine, carotene, and marigold extract.
You’ll find this recipe is easy to digest for puppies, with small, pellet-sized kibble and all the essential nutrients required to support your dog’s early stages of development.
- This formula is specially designed for small breed puppies up to the age of ten months
- Kibble is small and easy to pick up and chew, which makes this dry dog food ideal for small dogs and puppies
- It contains a blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support your puppy’s immune system.
- Provides the support needed for high energy levels of small breed dogs, especially since they grow and develop quickly within the first year.
Royal Canin Size Health Nutritional formula for small breed puppies offers all the required vitamins, minerals, protein, and nutrients to support your Beagle’s development. It’s an easy dog food for small puppies, and we found it satisfied their appetite well, giving our dog optimal energy for outdoor sports and activities.
Best High-Protein Puppy Formula for Beagles
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High-Protein formula is an excellent recipe for Beagles. This dry dog food blend is grain-free, with rich, multiple sources of protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates to support the early months of your puppy.
Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
Product Dimensions: 13.75 x 8 x 5 inches (4.57 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken meal, deboned chicken, peas, pea starch, tapioca starch, fish meal, fish oil, dried egg product, dried tomato pomace, dried chicory root, potatoes, pea fiber, vegetable juice, turmeric, parsley, dried kelp, calcium carbonate, carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries, barley grass, cranberries, vitamins B3, B5, B12, D3, B2, B6, taurine, copper, manganese, and oil of rosemary.
Blue Buffalo is well known for creating balanced, highly nutritious formulas for dogs and puppies of all ages, including small-breed puppies.
- It contains a significant dose of ARA and DHA, fatty acids that support retinal health and cognitive development in puppies.
- This formula is grain-free and ideal for puppies with food sensitivities and allergies.
- It’s made with real chicken as the primary source of protein, which is crucial for muscle, bone, and joint development and growth.
- High-quality blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants support your puppy’s immune system development and creates a robust oxidative balance.
- There are no artificial flavors, preservatives, soy, wheat, corn, wheat products, or meat by-products.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High-protein puppy food is highly recommended by veterinarians and professional animal nutritionists to support all your growing puppy’s needs.
Purina Pro Pet wet dog food is a great source of protein and an excellent topping for dry pellet and kibble puppy food. This formula is specially designed to meet the needs of your puppy’s early growth requirements, with no fillers or common allergens.
Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
Product Dimensions: 12.17 x 9 x 4 inches (9.75 pounds)
Ingredients: Lamb, pork lungs, liver, chicken, lamb, and chicken broth, sardines, oatmeal, spinach, egg product, grain rice, salt, zinc sulfate, potassium iodide, copper, vitamins B1, B3, B5, E, B12, A, D3, B7, and B6.
This canned wet food formula offers convenient packaging and a quick alternative to dry food or a great addition to your puppy’s regular dry food serving.
- This formula has a soft texture, which is perfect for young puppies with new teeth.
- It provides all the essential nutrients for dogs, including vitamins, minerals, and nutrients for all your pup’s nutritional needs.
- There are no fillers in this recipe, which means your puppy receives a whole serving of protein and nutrient-rich food
- This formula is veterinarian recommended
Purina One Plus pet food is a reputable brand highly recommended for puppies and dogs of all life stages. We found this wet food formula easy for our puppy to digest, with a pleasant flavor and soft texture.
Hill’s Science Diet for puppies is an excellent formula with all the ingredients you need for a young Beagle. This dry dog food is highly recommended by veterinarians and provides all the nutrients for the early stages of your puppy’s life.
Manufacturer: Hill’s Pet Nutrition Sales Inc.
Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 12 x 5 inches (15.5 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken meal, pork meal, whole grain wheat, cracked pearled barley, pork fat, corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp, flaxseed, fish oil, soybean oil, potassium chloride, vitamins E, C, A, B12, oat fiber, carrots, apples, taurine, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, copper oxide, green peas, broccoli, and cranberries.
This formula offers a mild-tasting but flavorful combination of chicken and barley with dense nutrition and sustenance for your puppy.
- All ingredients are naturally sourced from the US and globally
- There are no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or common allergens or fillers.
- It contains fish oil, which supports retina, eye, and brain development.
- High protein and minerals for bone, teeth, and muscle growth
Hill’s Science Diet is a highly reputable brand that offers excellent dog food formulas for all life stages, starting from when your puppy begins to consume solid food. All Hill’s Science Diet pet food products are made in top-quality facilities and are among the best dog food options on the market.
Blue Buffalo Basics for skin and sensitive stomach health is a unique formula that gives puppies all the essential nutrition required in a gentle, nourishing formula.
Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
Product Dimensions: 24.5 x 15.5 x 4 inches (24.24 pounds)
Ingredients: Deboned turkey, oatmeal, turkey meal, pea protein, natural flavor, brown rice, peas, dried chicory root, canola oil, pea fiber, fish oil, vitamins E, A, C, B3, B7, B5, B12, B1, zinc sulfate, blueberries, dehydrated alfalfa meal, salt, cranberries, parsley, barley grass, turmeric, copper sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese amino acid, dried yeast, oil of rosemary, and vegetable juice.
This well-balanced puppy formula includes a single animal protein source, turkey, which provides excellent digestive support for dogs with stomach sensitivities and allergies.
- The ingredient list is carefully selected to include only the best quality, without additives or fillers, such as dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, corn, or meat by-products.
- This formula is highly recommended by veterinarians and pet nutritionists.
- There is a rich level of antioxidants, which support your pup’s immune system and provide oxidative balance, which prevents chronic health conditions and promotes healthy growth.
- No artificial flavors or preservatives are included in this recipe.
- This pet food recipe is available in several sizes, which is convenient if you have more than one Beagle puppy.
Blue Buffalo Basics puppy formula is an exceptional product for young Beagles and small breed puppies up to twelve months. It’s a natural pet food formula that veterinarian nutritionists strongly recommend.
How to Choose the Best Beagle Puppy Food: Buyer’s Guide
Beagle puppies are highly energetic dogs that need the best nutrition from an early age. As natural hunters, this small, strong dog breed requires a good source of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
While Beagles enjoy play and outdoor activities, they can be prone to gaining excessive weight without regular exercise and a balanced diet. It’s important to consider the following guidelines when choosing a proper dog food diet and the best puppy food for your Beagle pup and small-breed puppies in general:
- Since small-breed puppies consume smaller portions, it’s important that the formula you choose is nutrient-rich, especially with quality animal protein content, to support early development, including muscle, organ, bone, cognitive, and retina health.
- Your puppy’s diet should include all the essential nutrients, such as fiber, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, and protein.
- If your pup has a sensitive stomach or experiences an allergic reaction to a puppy formula, choose a specific blend for dogs with sensitive digestive systems.
- While it’s important to include a diet high in healthy fats and carbohydrates, especially for puppies, avoiding overfeeding your pup to reduce the risk of excessive weight gain is crucial.
While Beagles are generally healthy dogs, it’s important to start their diet with proper nutrition from a young age, which supports development, and growth and prepares them for a healthy adulthood.
Your veterinarian can make recommendations on specific dog formulas that support your Beagle’s health. It’s crucial to consult with your vet to rule out allergies, chronic conditions, and other digestive issues before you settle on a regular dog food product for your pup’s daily meals. The following tips are essential to consider when you inquire with your veterinarian during the initial visits:
- Decide whether breed-specific formulas are best for your puppy and if your vet has any recommendations for brands or products.
- If you suspect an allergic reaction, ask your vet to conduct tests to determine if your puppy has common allergies or a digestive condition and requires a specialized diet plan.
- Ensure that your puppy is meeting all the growth and development milestones. If a formula doesn’t have adequate protein or nutrients to support your dog, this can delay some areas of development, which should be considered when choosing a formula.
- Monitor how your pet responds to food, especially when you add a wet dog food topper or switch from one dry food formula to another.
If you’re considering a homemade dog food diet, review these ingredients with your veterinarian or an animal dietician to ensure you include all the essential nutrients and meet the protein content for your dog’s development.
Feeding Schedule, Portions, and Choosing Dry or Wet Dog Food
Essentially, dry dog food or kibble is typically the first type of food your pup will enjoy. It’s vital to provide pellet-sized kibble, formulated especially for puppies, which is easier to pick up, chew, and digest at a young age.
As your dog grows, you can choose formulas that better accommodate your pup’s stages of development and their individual health needs. For example, many formulas for puppies are soft and chewy, which makes it easier for your puppy to ingest, instead of the adult-sized, hard kibble bites formulated for full-grown Beagles and adult dogs.
When Beagles are puppies, they can consume up to four small portions daily, adding up to one cup of dry and/or wet food. It’s important to establish a regular feeding schedule, and avoiding overeating or skipping meals is important.
Wet dog food can be introduced to your puppy as one of these meals, in between dry dog food, or added as a topper, as long as the portion isn’t excessive. Since Beagles are energetic puppies, they tend to adapt well to a slightly larger portion, which can increase up to 1.5 cups once they are fully grown, divided into two or three servings daily.
Beagles are great companion animals that thrive on a nutritious diet and enjoy a variety of kibble and wet food options. Once you establish a regular feeding schedule with consistent portions and nutrients, you can treat your puppy to the occasional snack between meals or during training. Our top puppy food choices are ideal for Beagle puppies with a variety of dietary needs and meet all the nutritional requirements.