Best Corgi Puppy Food
Corgis are wonderful dogs well known for their lively, energetic nature, herding skills, and ability to train easily for various tasks, including competitions.
When you adopt a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or a Cardigan Corgi, you’ll quickly find that these small but solid and hard-working dogs require a diet rich in protein, omega fatty acids, and essential nutrients to support their active lifestyle. Welsh Corgis require lots of exercise and training to develop their talent and maintain optimal health.
You’ll find Corgis have a variety of coat colors, with natural bobtails or longer tails, and they are short in size but long in stature and weight up to 30 pounds as adult dogs. While Pembroke Corgis are not as heavy as the Cardigan Corgi, they typically have a similar build and require at least one hour of activity daily.
As Corgis require a well-balanced diet to support their development as puppies, we selected the top dog food options, including dry dog food, kibble, wet food, and top-rated formulas specially designed for growing puppies.
Table of Contents
- 1. Best Dog Food Formula for Small Breed Dogs and Corgi Puppies
- 2. Best Grain-Free Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
- 3. Best High-Protein Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
- 4. Best Natural Ingredient Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
- 5. Best Wet Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
- 6. Best Formula for Skin and Sensitive Stomach Care for Corgi Puppies
- How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Your Corgi Puppy: Buyer’s Guide
- Types of Dog Food for Your Corgi Pup
1. Best Dog Food Formula for Small Breed Dogs and Corgi Puppies
Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Food formula offers an excellent blend of nutrients designed to meet the needs of small puppies and dogs within the first twelve months. It’s an ideal choice for a Corgi puppy up to the age of ten months.
Manufacturer: Royal Canin
Product Dimensions: 3.5 x 14 x 24 inches (13 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken, brewers rice, chicken fat, corn, dried plain beet pulp, fish oil, vegetable oil, vitamins D, E, B12, B1, C, A, and B6, copper, marigold extract, rosemary extract, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, manganese, zinc, and taurine.
This dry dog food is specially designed for small breed puppies, which provides all the essential nutrients for the first ten months, and supports Corgi’s high energy levels. Royal Canin’s puppy food for small breed dogs includes excellent benefits:
- This formula contains high amounts of protein to support your puppy’s bone, muscle, and joint development
- The kibble is small and easy for small dogs to pick up and chew without much effort.
- Supports immunity health with vitamins and antioxidants
- It’s ideal for puppies with sensitive stomachs and helps support digestive health with prebiotics and proteins that are easy to digest
Royal Canin’s Small Puppy dry dog food is the perfect option for small puppies with a lot of energy while providing a well-balanced diet with every meal.
2. Best Grain-Free Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
Merrick Grain-Free dry dog food provides excellent natural ingredients, including high-quality animal-based protein and vegetables for optimal digestion.
Manufacturer: Merrick Pet Care
Product Dimensions: 27.5 x 15.75 x 27.5 inches (22.3 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken, sweet potato, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, glucosamine, chondroitin, and fiber.
Merrick’s grain-free formula is available in various flavors and sizes, including four, ten, twenty-two, and thirty-pound bags. The blend of high-quality animal proteins and sweet potato is ideal for growing pups and active dogs. This dry dog food offers excellent nutritional benefits, including the following:
- 65% protein, all-natural produce, and omega fatty acids for a well-balanced diet ideal for active puppies
- Every ingredient is high-grade, including all protein sources and flavors, such as beef, chicken, duck, lamb, salmon, and beef with bison
- This recipe offers fiber and healthy fats that support a balanced diet and optimal weight.
- In addition to containing multiple protein sources, this formula includes chondroitin and glucosamine for healthy hip, muscle, and joints development
- No ingredients that cause allergies are included, such as soy, corn, wheat, or artificial flavors
Merrick Grain-Free dry dog food is a well-balanced formula for growing dogs, including small breed puppies such as Corgi dogs. It’s one of our top picks for natural ingredients and strengthening digestive health and overall development.
3. Best High-Protein Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
Purina Pro Plan High-Protein dog formula features significant levels of nutrients that support the development of your Corgi puppy’s brain, vision, bone, organ, and muscle development.
Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
Product Dimensions: 4.75 x 16 x 32 inches (34 pounds)
Ingredients: Lamb, chicken meal, rice, beef fat preserved, corn germ meal, oatmeal, fish oil, dried beet pulp, zinc, manganese, copper, vitamins B5, B3, B12, B6, D3, A, and K, garlic oil, choline, potassium, fish meal, and calcium.
This well-designed protein-rich formula is one of the best recipes to introduce to your Corgi pup:
- Rich in DHA from fish oil for supporting vision and brain development
- This formula is fortified with quality nutrients, including live probiotics to support immunity and digestive health
- It supports bone, muscle, and joint development with vitamin D and minerals such as phosphorus and calcium
- Omega 6 and vitamin A nourish and supports healthy skin and coat
Purina Pro Plan High-Protein dog formula is one of the best dog food options for digestion while providing all the nutrient-building blocks for your puppy’s development and optimal growth.
4. Best Natural Ingredient Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
Blue Buffalo Life Protection dog food is a formula that contains all-natural ingredients for small, developing puppies.
Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
Product Dimensions: 25 x 16 x 5 inches (30 pounds)
Ingredients: Deboned chicken, brown rice, chicken meal, barley, flaxseed, pea protein, chicken fat, fish oil, alfalfa, vitamins E, A, B7, C, B5, B12, B6, B2, D3, and B3, zinc, carrots, garlic, pea fiber, dried tomato pomace, copper, oil of rosemary, dried yeast, manganese, and taurine.
Blue Buffalo’s formula for puppies is available in several convenient sizes, including five, fifteen, and thirty-pound bags, with recipe offerings that feature chicken with rice and lamb with oatmeal. This dog food blend offers excellent advantages for your Corgi pup’s health:
- The first ingredient is high-grade protein from real chicken and lamb, followed by significant sources of whole grains, fruit, and vegetables
- This formula is ideal for puppies and contains ARA and DHA (fatty acids) that support brain growth, cognitive development, and retinal health
- Rich antioxidants promote healthy immune system development, including vitamins, minerals, and fiber
- This formula does not contain soy, artificial flavors, corn, by-product meals, or preservatives
Blue Buffalo Life Protection dog food provides an excellent recipe for energetic Corgi dogs in the early stages of life and development. This nutritionally balanced formula offers everything you need for your puppy without common allergens or ingredients that contribute to food sensitivities.
5. Best Wet Dog Food for Corgi Puppies
Wellness Complete Health Natural wet dog food is a great alternative to dry kibble and makes a tasty, nutrient-rich topping to your Corgi’s favorite dry pellet food.
Product Dimensions: 12 x 9 x 4.25 inches (9.3 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken, chicken broth, salmon, sweet potato, carrots, ground barley, canola oil, choline, zinc, vitamins A, D3, B12, and E, potassium, choline, iron, copper, chicken liver, and pea protein.
Wellness’ all-natural wet dog food formula offers lean sources of protein from chicken and salmon, with several great nutritional benefits:
- This formula focuses on holistic body health and contains premium-sourced nutrients to support digestive health, energy, healthy skin, coat, and immunity
- Rich in antioxidants, without any meat by-products or artificial preservatives
- Wellness is a highly reputable brand that offers a wide range of dry and wet dog formulas for puppies and adult dogs and whole grain and grain-free options
- There are a limited number of ingredients, and only the finest meats, vegetables, fruits, and naturally sourced ingredients are included in the recipe
Wellness Complete Health Natural wet dog food is the ideal topper for your pet’s dry kibble, offering a significant boost in protein, minerals, and vitamins for optimal growth.
6. Best Formula for Skin and Sensitive Stomach Care for Corgi Puppies
Blue Buffalo Basics offers a wide variety of specific formulas for your puppy, including this recipe specializing in easily digestive kibble and nutrients for skin and digestive health.
Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
Product Dimensions: 24.5 x 15.5 x 4 inches (24 pounds)
Ingredients: Turkey meal, deboned turkey, brown rice, pea protein, canola oil, oatmeal, flaxseed, dried chicory root, chloride, fish oil, potassium, vitamins E, C, B3, B2, D3, B12, B1, B5, and A, manganese, dried yeast, copper, taurine, pumpkin, alfalfa, zinc, copper, oil of rosemary, and calcium.
This formula offers excellent nutrients for your puppy’s digestive health and development while preventing allergic reactions and supporting your dog’s high energy levels:
- All ingredients are natural, not poultry by-product meals, soy, corn, or artificial colors or preservatives
- This dog food is rich in antioxidants and easily digestible ingredients, including turkey, potato, and pumpkin, which is ideal for puppies with food sensitivities
Blue Buffalo Basics dog formula is one of our top choices for providing a well-balanced diet for your Corgi pup without the risk of common allergens and artificial preservatives. It’s an excellent option for dogs that are picky eaters or require a gentler meal plan that’s balanced and rich in nutrients.
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Your Corgi Puppy: Buyer’s Guide
Corgi puppies are highly energetic dogs requiring a nutrient-dense diet during the first ten to twelve months. The amount of food your Corgi pup requires varies throughout their early life, based on development, growth, and physical activity.
Ideally, the same amount is fed each day, with more frequent, smaller portions starting at the earliest stage, with four portions or servings up to the first four months, followed by three meals a day for pups between four and six months, two to three meals daily up to eight months, and one to two meals for Corgis eight months and older.
While this is a general guide, you’ll find the portions adjust well within these age ranges to ensure your dog gets the nourishment they need to support their growth.
Corgis require a protein-rich diet with all the essential nutrients, including omega fatty acids, to thrive and develop with optimal health. It’s crucial to select of puppy formula that meets all the essential needs of your pet, including the following:
- Protein-rich ingredients should always be the first ingredient and naturally sourced, such as lamb, chicken, beef, turkey, and bison
- Choose a formula with prebiotics and antioxidants, which promotes a healthy digestive system
- Your Corgi’s food should contain all the required nutrients, such as minerals, vitamins, and fiber, and a high level or percentage of animal-based protein
If you’re concerned about a possible allergy or food sensitivity, there are great puppy formulas that are grain-free and do not contain ingredients known to increase allergic reactions, such as corn, wheat, gluten, soy, and artificial preservatives.
Maintaining regular visits with a veterinarian to ensure your Corgi pup gets all the essential nutrients for proper health and development is especially important during the early months.
Your vet can recommend specific ingredients or formula options based on your pet’s health history, breed, and health information, which can determine if there are any deficiencies or special dietary requirements.
There are plenty of dog food brands and types to choose from, including wet food, raw formulas, kibble, and homemade food. One of the best options for a Corgi pup is kibble, which is easy to store and serve and requires no preparation.
Dry dog food offers all the essential nutrients your puppy needs in each serving, so they can grow and thrive. Kibble is typically tiny, in pellet size, which is ideal for puppies to pick up and chew.
While all dry food contains nutrients, it’s essential to review the quantities of protein, and the source, to ensure the optimal quality. Antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and naturally-sourced vitamins and minerals are essential, and your pup’s formula should be free of preservatives.
Wet food is a great way to boost nutrient content in your Corgi’s diet, either as an alternative to dry kibble or raw food. While some wet food brands are offered as a complimentary treat, to be served as a topper or in addition to dry kibble, other wet food formulas are complete as a full serving with all the essential nutrients on their own.
It’s vital to store wet food properly to avoid spoilage. Most brands are available in cans as a single serving, which makes it easy to open and serve your puppy.
Raw diets and homemade food for dogs are also great options, provided they are served fresh and contain all the essential nutrients if they are provided as a complete meal. Raw food provides all-natural ingredients essential for your pup’s growth and can be purchased freeze-dried, making it easy to prepare quickly between dry kibble and wet food.
Homemade food is another option, though it’s typically not recommended as a regular meal unless all the required nutrients are included.
Corgis are friendly, energetic personalities and offer loyal companionship. They require a nutrient-rich diet to support their dynamic nature and development of bone, muscle, and joint growth from birth to the late stages of life.
Protein is the most vital ingredient: vitamins, prebiotics, minerals, fatty acids, and fiber. With a well-balanced diet, your Corgi will have a great start with optimal health and growth.