Best Dog Food for Basset Hounds. Top 12 Picks
Basset Hounds are a unique dog breed that originated in France, where there were initially bred for hunting. This dog breed is well recognized for its short legs, long body, and large, floppy ears. Basset Hounds are great at using their scent and often display a stubborn yet intelligent and independent nature. They tend to be gentle, well-mannered dogs, but they aren’t afraid to bark if there’s a need to alert their human.
Since Basset Hounds have a long but hefty build, they require a protein-rich diet that supports their bones, joints, and muscles. Our top 12 picks for the best dog food for Basset Hounds include formulas that provide exceptional nutrition for your pet as a puppy and adult dog.
Best Dog Food Formula With Superfoods for Basset Hounds
Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison is a fantastic blend of wild meats, probiotics, antioxidants, and vitamins for your Basset Hound’s health. This unique blend offers a rich source of superfoods and nutrients, which provides all the essential nutrients for puppies and adult dogs.
Manufacturer: Diamond Pet Foods
Product Dimensions: 5 x 17 x 25 inches (28 pounds)
Ingredients: Roasted venison, water buffalo, sweet potatoes, lamb meal, chicken meal, roasted bison, chicken fat, potatoes, peas, pea protein, ocean fish meal, dried chicory root, blueberries, raspberries, vitamins E, D3, B12, A, zinc, iron, manganese, copper, and calcium.
The brand’s manufacturer is a family-owned business specializing in sustainable, local ingredients in the processing of dog food formulas. The main ingredients of this dry kibble formula include multiple sources of protein from real meat and other great benefits that we found exceptional for your Basset Hound:
- This dog food product contains antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and prebiotics that support your dog’s immune system and healthy digestion
- It does not contain any grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavors, or colors that may contribute to allergic reactions.
- All the essential nutrients are included in Taste of the Wild High Prairie, which supports the development and growth of your dog’s bones, muscles, and organs throughout all stages of life.
Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison is a fantastic blend full of rich nutrients and quality ingredients that we found to be a good value for the cost.
Best Senior Dog Formula for Basset Hounds
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is a natural blend of high-quality meats, brown rice, and vegetable-based ingredients that support your Basset Hound in the later stages of life.
Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
Product Dimensions: 25 x 16 x 5 inches (30 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, pea fiber, flaxseed, chicken fat, oatmeal, potato starch, fish oil, dried chicory root, alfalfa nutrient concentrate, zinc, garlic, vitamins C, B3, B1, B5, A, D3, B9, turmeric, dried kelp, parsley, cranberries, blueberries, iron amino acid chelate, dried yeast, oil of rosemary, and calcium.
Blue Buffalo is an excellent brand that designs high-quality formulas for dogs of all breeds and sizes. This dog food product is formulated to provide the best nutrient levels for medium breeds. There are some great benefits to purchasing this product for your Basset Hound, including:
- This product is available in various sizes, including five, six, fifteen, thirty, and thirty-four-pound bags.
- You’ll get everything you need to support your senior dog’s health from this formula, including chondroitin and glucosamine, to promote mobility and support your pet’s joints, bones, and muscles.
- There are no artificial ingredients, by-product meals, corn, soy, wheat, or preservatives
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is one of our best dog food options for senior dogs and Basset Hounds requiring additional joint and bone support.
Best Grain-Free Dog Food for Basset Hounds
American Journey Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipe is a grain-free formula conveniently available as a dry kibble for medium-sized dogs 24 pounds and larger.
Manufacturer: American Journey
Product Dimensions: 24 pounds
Ingredients: Amino acids, salmon oil, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, carrots, blueberries, dried kelp, flaxseed, and debone salmon
This protein and omega fatty acids-rich formula provides top-notch natural flavors from salmon and sweet potatoes to support your adult Basset Hound. This American Journey formula offers a nutrient-dense recipe with the perfect balance of high-protein, essential fatty acids, amino acids, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. We chose this product as one of our top picks for several reasons:
- Flaxseed and salmon oil offer a significant amount of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which benefit eye and brain development and support your dog’s skin and coat health.
- There are plenty of fiber-rich ingredients, including carrots, chickpeas, blueberries, and other vegetable-based ingredients.
- The high protein and amino acid levels help Basset Hounds manage their unique body shape and size while promoting mobility.
- It’s a grain-free formula without soy, wheat, corn, or ingredients that trigger stomach upset or allergic reactions.
American Journey Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipe is an excellent blend of high-quality nutrients, focusing on essential fatty acids and protein sources that keep your dog in optimal health.
Best Dog Food Formula for Basset Hound Puppies
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Puppies is the perfect formula for growing pups and offers a pleasant-tasting blend of barley, chicken meal, and healthy ingredients.
Manufacturer: Hill’s Pet Nutrition Sales Inc.
Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 12 x 5 inches (15.5 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken meal, whole grain corn, wheat, pork meal, cracked pearled barley, fish oil, flaxseed, pork flavor, soybean oil, vitamins C, B12, D3, E, A, zinc, copper sulfate, taurine, oat fiber, carrot, green peas, broccoli, apples, and dried beet pulp.
Hill’s Science Diet is a well-established brand that offers formulas developed based on clinical studies and veterinarian recommendations. This specific blend is a good option for puppies because it provides all the essential nutrients in small, pellet-sized kibble that’s easy to pick up and chew for puppies. Here’s why we like this product for Basset Hound puppies:
- All ingredients are natural and are derived from quality global sources to achieve the proper balance in minerals, vitamins, high-quality protein, and essential fatty acids.
- This formula’s high level of DHA from fish oil supports your puppy’s organ, eye, and brain development.
- Veterinarians recommend it
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is an excellent option for puppies, and the ideal brand for the Basset Hound breed, as they thrive on nutrient-rich formulas to support their unique skeletal structure, bones, and joints.
Best Raw Dog Food for Basset Hounds
Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free formula for puppies is a great way to increase the protein content of your Basset Hound’s diet while infusing more vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids with each serving.
Manufacturer: Nature’s Valley
Product Dimensions: 17.8 x 12 x 3 inches (10 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken, turkey meal, egg product, tapioca, peas, salmon oil, lamb meal, pumpkin seeds, fish meal, cranberries, apples, carrots, zinc, copper, manganese, vitamins D3, B12, A, E, lamb meal, rosemary extract, and iron.
Suppose you’re looking to boost your Basset Hound’s nutrient level. In that case, we recommend this fantastic blend of freeze-dried raw food that provides a significant dose of protein from accurate meat sources without any processing or additives. There are several reasons to add this formula to your Basset Hound’s diet:
- It’s a grain-free formula that contains cage-free chicken without any corn, wheat, soy, or artificial preservatives.
- This raw dog food is minimally processed, so your dog will get the most out of the nutrient content, including probiotics, omega fatty acids, and protein.
- It contains phosphorus, calcium, and DHA to support the development of bones, teeth, the brain, and eyes.
Instinct Raw Boost Grain-free dog food is an excellent option for all breed sizes, including Basset Hounds. It’s also a great way to increase your pet’s nutrient level when there is a deficiency or lack of specific vitamins or minerals in their diet.
Best Natural, Preservative-Free Dog Food for Basset Hounds
Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food is a well-balanced formula for adult dogs of medium size, including Basset Hounds. Wellness is a high-quality brand that aims to provide exceptional dog food blends and formulas without preservatives, artificial ingredients, and fillers.
Product Dimensions: 27.5 x 15 x 5 inches (30 pounds)
Ingredients: Deboned chicken, tomato pomace, ground brown rice, peas, ground barley, potassium, spinach, zinc, taurine, vitamins E, B12, C, A, D3, zinc, green tea extract, ground flaxseed, chicken fat, carrots, and natural chicken flavor.
The main ingredient of this natural dog food is chicken, which is mild and easy to digest for dogs. This formula is specially formulated to fit most dog breed sizes, including medium-sized Basset Hounds, with convenient pellet-sized kibble. There are great reasons to include this dog food product with your pet’s diet:
- The dry kibble is easy to chew, with a pleasant texture and taste
- Only natural ingredients are included in this recipe, without any fillers, by-products, or artificial preservatives.
- It’s a grain-free formula, ideal for Basset Hounds or dogs with allergies and food sensitivities.
Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food is an excellent choice for dogs that may have difficulty digesting other formulas with whole grains, corn, soy, and other ingredients that can cause stomach upset. Wellness also offers a fantastic variety of grain-free dog treats, wet food, and toppers.
Best Dry Kibble Blend for Adult Basset Hounds
Purina One SmartBlend Natural is one of our favorite dry kibble formulas for adult dogs and an ideal choice for Basset Hounds.
Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
Product Dimensions: 33 x 18.4 x 4.4 inches (40 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken, rice flour, whole grain wheat, corn gluten meal, beef fat, calcium, vitamins B3, B5, B2, D3, B6, K, B12, manganese, copper sulfate, dried carrots, dried peas, and zinc.
This is a popular, affordable brand and offers real meat and high-quality nutrients in a dry dog food formula with a meaty, chewy texture ideal for dogs. There are a few reasons why we chose this product for Basset Hounds:
- Only real chicken is used in this recipe for optimal protein quality
- It contains antioxidants that support your dog’s immunity and helps prevent illness.
- This formula supports healthy joints with a wealth of vitamins and glucosamine.
Purina One SmartBlend Natural offers an excellent blend of semi-moist kibble that’s crunchy and tasty for dogs. It’s a popular brand and product that’s easy to find and purchase online.
Best Freeze-Dried Dog Food for Basset Hounds
Small-batch Pets Freeze-Dried Premium raw food diet is a great way to increase your pet’s nutrition content with ethically-raised animal-based meats and quality sources of protein.
Manufacturer: Small Batch Pets
Product Dimensions: 11.34 x 9.53 x 3.58 inches (14 ounces)
Ingredients: Chicken, organic yams, kelp, salmon oil, apple cider, carrots, squash, broccoli, organic bee pollen, bilberry, garlic, basil, vitamin E, parsley, wheatgrass, and kale.
This well-balanced meal is freeze-dried and ready to serve as a complete meal or as an occasional treat. It’s also an excellent topper for dry kibble, and we find it makes an excellent option for Basset Hounds for several reasons:
- All ingredients are naturally sourced and organic, with no pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, or synthetic ingredients.
- Small Batch Pets partners with local rangers, farmers, and suppliers to source only the best quality ingredients.
- Meat products are responsibly sourced, and all flavors are natural, including raw apple cider, salmon oil, thyme, oregano, basil, and more.
Small-batch Pets Freeze-Dried Premium is a great formula that boosts your Basset Hound’s diet with high-quality protein, fatty acids, and nutrients for a well-balanced meal.
Best Human-Grade Dog Food for Basset Hounds
The Honest Kitchen Human-Grade Dehydrated food is a whole grain formula that offers excellent quality as a complete meal or delicious topper for dry dog food.
Manufacturer: The Honest Kitchen
Product Dimensions: 9.65 x 5.56 x 11.68 inches (10 pounds)
Ingredients: Barley, potassium, green peas, free-range organic chicken, celery, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamins E, D3, iron, copper, potassium, organic oats, flaxseeds, potatoes, parsley, carrots, kelp.
We found this human-grade formula ideal for supporting Basset Hounds, as it provides an extra layer of nutrients for supporting their unique bone and muscle structure. There are excellent benefits in choosing a quality raw food for your medium-sized dog:
- There are many flavors to choose from, including beef with salmon, fish, wild fish, chicken, turkey, chicken with duck, and turkey with fish.
- This raw food is freeze-dried, making it easy to prepare and serve quickly.
- This formula doesn’t include any GMO ingredients, wheat, soy, corn, fillers, or by-products
- It’s safe and healthy for adult dogs and puppies of various sizes and breeds
The Honest Kitchen Human-grade raw, dehydrated food is a great way to boost your Basset Hound’s diet, which offers a balanced variety of nutrients. It’s a complete meal served on its own or as a tasty topper to homemade food or dry food.
Best Dog Food With Convenient Packaging and Sizes
Iams Minichunks Adult Dog food is a great staple in your Basset Hound’s diet. You’ll find this brand in most online stores and available in various sizes.
Manufacturer: Iams Dry Dog Food
Product Dimensions: 24 x 19 x 4.57 inches (30 pounds)
Ingredients: Whole grain corn, chicken, flaxseed, dried egg product, dried plain beet pulp, chicken fat, thiamine, vitamins E, A, B12, B2, calcium, manganese, carrot, and choline.
Iams is a reputable brand that provides a large selection of dog food products and consistent quality food options at a reasonable price. Here’s why we chose this adult dog dry food blend as one of our top picks:
- Veterinarians recommend it due to the formula’s support of healthy digestion, with a good dose of prebiotics, fibers, and antioxidants.
- This formula provides all your dog’s essential nutrients without any fillers, artificial preservatives, or flavors.
- It supports your dog’s muscles and bones, with high-quality protein sources from the farm-raised chicken as the main ingredient.
Iams Minichunks Adult Dog food is a well-balanced meal for Basset Hounds and most breed sizes.
Best High-Protein and Grain-Free Blend for Medium-sized Dogs
Origen Dog Original Recipe is a formula that blends high-protein and grain-free ingredients for dogs with sensitive digestive systems.
Manufacturer: Champion Petfoods
Product Dimensions: 28 x 15 x 4.5 inches (25 pounds)
Ingredients: Deboned chicken, turkey, whole Atlantic mackerel, whole eggs, dehydrated chicken, turkey, and Atlantic herring, whole green peas, whole red lentils, sunflower seeds, butternut squash, kale, spinach, chicory root, rosehips, turmeric, Alaskan pollock oil, whole navy beans, whole chickpeas, zinc, and whole pinto beans.
This original recipe offers a rich diet in animal proteins, including multiple sources of dehydrated animal ingredients, without any grains, fillers, or foods that cause allergic reactions. There are great reasons to choose this exceptional formula:
- This recipe offers many protein sources, including several seafood sources, dehydrated meats, and quality ingredients.
- Orijen contains 85% fish and poultry ingredients, which means your Basset Hound receives high protein, essential fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins without any preservatives or fillers.
- Ingredients are sourced from regional farms, ranches, and suppliers.
Origen Dog Original Recipe is a great way to improve your dog’s nutrition at all stages of life and for all dog breeds. This blend meets all the nutritional requirements for your Basset Hound’s health and well-being.
Best Wet Dog Food for Basset Hounds
Weruva All-Natural Grain-Free wet dog food is versatile for your Basset Hound. This high-quality canned food is available in a wide selection of recipes blended with shredded chicken.
Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 9 x 4.5 inches (12.4 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken, chicken broth, sunflower seed oil, potato starch, copper sulfate, zinc, vitamins B12, B3, B1, B6, B2, A, E, and manganese.
This formula is an excellent topper for dry kibble, with human-grade ingredients and free of artificial ingredients. Here are some great reasons to add this wet dog food to your Basset Hound’s diet:
- It’s easy to digest with gluten-free, grain-free, and preservative-free ingredients.
- This formula is available in many flavors, including the most popular white meat chicken in gravy. Other flavors include salmon, duck, and signature blends of multiple protein options.
- Weruva offers an excellent product ideal for your Basset Hound throughout adulthood.
Weruva All-Natural Grain-Free formula is a great wet dog food that’s available in various flavor blends and various package sizes to treat your pet with lots of great options.
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Your Basset Hound: Buyer’s Guide
If you’re a new pet owner of a Basset Hound puppy, you may find the process of finding good quality dog food challenging. Basset Hounds, like all dogs, require a protein-rich diet with all the essential vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids for optimal pet health. Whether you’re searching for the best puppy recipe, raw food formula, or dry kibble, plenty of excellent options are available.
When you decide on a quality dog food formula for your hound puppy, there are some crucial factors to consider:
- Based on your dog’s health history, breed information, and other factors, inquire with your veterinarian to determine the best puppy food options or formula for adult or senior Basset Hounds.
- Get familiar with your dog’s health condition to determine if they have any allergies or food sensitivities.
- If your dog has a medical history of heart disease, skin infection, or maintaining a healthy weight, some specialized formulas and diets help prevent and treat these conditions.
Adding Supplements to Your Basset Hound’s Diet
Supplements are a great idea if you need to ensure that your dog receives all their nutrients, including quality protein, vitamins, minerals, and other essential ingredients. It’s essential to visit your veterinarian for your dog’s routine care and inquire about recommended supplements. It’s crucial to source only the highest quality supplements so that you maximize their positive impact.
How Do I Feed My Basset Hound?
Regular mealtimes are essential in maintaining a healthy, balanced diet. It’s also important to review your dog’s eating habits and take note of any changes that may contribute to weight gain or loss.
Set specific feeding times throughout the day and replenish your pet’s water bowl to ensure there’s always a fresh supply. If your Basset Hound is a puppy or very active, you may want to increase the animal protein content in your pet’s diet with healthy treats, snacks, and toppings.
Basset Hounds are affectionate, intelligent dogs that make wonderful companions for the family. They enjoy socializing, with a calm demeanor and a strong personality. When choosing a quality dog food formula and supplements for your hound, it’s essential to focus on protein quality. This breed requires significant muscular and bone support throughout its life. A good dog food recipe should also contain healthy fats, oils, and all the essential nutrients your pup or adult Basset Hound requires for a happy and active lifestyle.