Best Pug Puppy Food
Pugs are well-loved small dogs that make excellent family pets and are among the most popular breeds worldwide. They originated from ancient China, where they were exclusively bred for their unique physical features and companionship. They are humorous, entertaining dogs that enjoy relaxing with their human companions instead of vigorous exercise and play.
Pug puppies are wonderful additions to any household and require a nutritious diet to support their growth through the early stages.
While pugs are small and round in shape, they are muscular and enjoy playing with humans and other pets. Like many dog breeds, they require a substantial amount of protein to support their muscular growth and development, with a diet high in vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, prebiotics, fiber, and animal protein.
We chose our top puppy food recipes for pugs based on high-quality ingredients, flavor, convenience, price, and overall nutritional value.
Best Small Breed Specific Dog Food Formula for Puppies
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Pug Puppy dry dog food is a breed-specific formula designed to meet the unique needs of pug puppies.
- Manufacturer: Royal Canin
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 7.5 x 4 inches (2.5 pounds)
- Ingredients: Chicken fat, brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, dried plain beet pulp, fish oil, potassium chloride, vitamins D3, B12, E, A, B1, zinc, calcium, taurine, rosemary extract, copper, manganous oxide, wheat gluten, corn gluten meal, corn, and marigold extract.
This formula is easy for puppies to pick up and chew, with small dry kibble and lots of great nutrients to support your dog’s early development.
- Promotes healthy skin and coat with essential nutrients, including omega fatty acids
- It is specially formulated for purebred pugs, from eight weeks to ten months, to meet all their nutritional needs.
- This formula provides a healthy complex of vitamins and antioxidants, including vitamin E, which supports your puppy’s immune system and overall development.
- Promotes healthy digestion with prebiotics and high-quality protein
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Pug Puppy dry dog food offers all the nutrients your pug requires for healthy digestion, skin and coat, immunity, and overall development. Royal Canin Pug Junior is another excellent option for young puppies’ nutritional needs.
Purina Pro Plan, Small Breed dog food, features probiotics to help your young puppy’s digestive system and overall growth, with an easy-to-digest chicken and rice formula. We found this dry dog food ideal for puppies, especially if they are picky eaters or have sensitive stomachs.
- Manufacturer: Nestle Pro Purina
- Product Dimensions: 24.5 x 15.5 x 4 inches (24 pounds)
- Ingredients: Chicken, rice, preserved beef fat, soybean meal, dried egg product, manganese, copper, vitamins E, D3, B7, B9, B2, B5, B12, A, K, garlic oil, fish meal, wheat bran, potassium chloride, zinc, and natural flavors.
We found this puppy food offers an excellent blend of protein, probiotics, minerals, and vitamins to support a young pug’s development. It’s also an excellent formula for other small breed puppies and their unique nutritional needs.
- Fortified with live probiotics to promote immune and digestive systems
- It’s a nutrient-dense formula that offers small, bite-sized kibble that is ideal for picky eaters and flavors that pug puppies enjoy
- It contains high protein, with chicken as the first ingredient
- High in calcium, copper, zinc, phosphorus, and other minerals to support bone, muscles, and teeth
- It nourishes skin and coats health with vitamin A, omega-six fatty acids, and prebiotic fiber
Purina Pro Plan Small Breed dog food is a great way to introduce your puppy to a well-balanced diet without the adverse effects of stomach issues, with the support of probiotics and easy-to-digest ingredients, such as rice and chicken. We found the packaging convenient, with three sizes available in eight, sixteen, and thirty-four-pound bags.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula features natural ingredients and is of the best quality for small-breed puppies. It’s an excellent pug food option for puppies, adults, and senior pugs.
- Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
- Product Dimensions: 20 x 13.25 x 3.75 inches (15.16 pounds)
- Ingredients: Chicken meal, chicken, barley, brown rice, dried egg product, peas, fish oil, pea protein, flaxseed, alfalfa meal, potatoes, dried chicory root, pea fiber, calcium, sweet potato, barley grass, zinc amino acid chelate, garlic, carrots, vitamins E, B12, B1, B6, A, B5, B7, D3, and C, parsley, dried kelp, turmeric, manganese, and taurine.
This formula is an excellent option for puppies and contains naturally sourced ingredients from trusted producers, farms, and ranches.
- Real meat is the first ingredient and offers high-quality protein from chicken and plant-based sources
- It contains wholesome grains, vegetables, fruits, and natural extracts
- Provides a blend of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fatty acids to support retinal health and promote cognitive function and development
- This puppy formula contains ARA and DHA< which are fatty acids found in mother’s milk
- There are no by-products, corn, soy, wheat, preservatives, or artificial flavors
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is a well-balanced option for young pugs and provides all the best nutrients from top sources to ensure proper development. Our pup enjoyed the texture and taste of this formula, and it’s available in five and fifteen-pound bags.
Cesar Puppy Soft Wet Dog Food makes the ideal treat or meal option for small pug puppies. This recipe includes a sauce that blends beef and chicken in the form of a loaf that can be served as a complete meal or a topping on dry kibble.
- Manufacturer: Cesar
- Product Dimensions: 12.6 x 7.8 x 4 inches (5.25 pounds)
- Ingredients: Chicken, beef lung, chicken broth, beef, chicken heart, fish oil, calcium, dried yam, vitamins E, D3, B1, copper, manganese, and zinc.
This wet dog food is well-balanced and popular with small-breed dogs and puppies. There are some great benefits to adding wet food to your puppy’s diet, either in between dry food servings or as a topper to increase protein content.
- It contains no grains, and chicken is the first ingredient
- The formula is made in the U.S. and contains only high-quality ingredients from trusted sources
- Fortified with minerals and vitamins that are ideal for all breeds and dogs of different sizes while providing essential nutrients for small puppies
- The pate texture is easy for puppies to eat and slice into smaller portions to serve as a snack or topping
Cesar Puppy Soft Wet Dog Food is easy to serve without preparation, and the small trays come in cases of twenty-four, with easy peel-away lids so that you can feed your puppy anywhere, even without a bowl or dish.
Orijen Dog Puppy Recipe is a high-protein formula that’s grain-free and contains fresh, regional ingredients.
- Manufacturer: Champion Petfoods
- Product Dimensions: 28.4 x 15 x 4.5 inches (25 pounds)
- Ingredients: Deboned turkey, deboned chicken, whole eggs, chicken liver, whole Atlantic mackerel, turkey heart, chicken heart, dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, whole red lentils, whole green lentils, whole green peas, whole chickpeas, copper, turnip greens, whole carrots, dried kelp, chicory root, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, turmeric, lentil fiber, and butternut squash.
This formula is rich in multiple protein sources, including plant-based and animal protein. It’s our top pick for high protein levels, which includes up to 85% to support your pug’s natural development.
- All turkey and chicken ingredients are free-run, and eggs are cage-free
- Fish ingredients are wild-caught and without any preservatives
- The formula includes multiple sources of animal protein, including bone, organs, and cartilage, from raw, quality providers
Orijen Dog Puppy Recipe is one of the best high-protein formulas for all dog breeds, and we found it nourishes pugs and pug puppies well, boosting their energy levels and improving their digestive system. It’s the ultimate blend of protein sources with natural sources of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats.
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Your Pug Puppy: Buyer’s Guide
Pug puppies are small, sedentary dogs prone to weight gain and may be sensitive to certain foods and ingredients. The quality of food and the type of snacks you feed your pug will significantly impact your furry companion’s health, especially as a puppy. For this reason, it’s essential to choose a puppy formula that’s best for small breed dogs:
- Avoid dog food formulas with additives or high-fat content, as this can affect your pug puppy’s weight
- Choose a formula containing all the essential nutrients, and consult a vet nutritionist to determine which dog food offers the best balance for your puppy’s development
- Protein content should be high, though only from natural sources, including plant-based and animal proteins
- Your pug’s diet should include probiotics, fiber, vitamins, and minerals
- The formula must be easy to digest, especially if your pug suffers from allergies or has a sensitive stomach
Establishing a typical eating pattern is essential, so your pug doesn’t overeat or skip meals. Fresh water should always be available so that your puppy stays hydrated. Pugs are susceptible to breathing problems due to their short snout and narrow airways. For this reason, it’s best to keep them comfortable in a climate-controlled environment with replenished water.
When you consult your veterinarian about your pug’s diet due to health concerns, you’ll get familiar with the foods that are best to avoid and which formulas support your pet’s development. It’s also essential to take into consideration details provided by your pug breeder, including pedigree, medical history, and characteristics of the specific breed:
- Review your pet’s health history with your breeder and veterinarian to find the best formula and diet options for your pet
- If your pet demonstrates food sensitivities or allergies, or there is a medical diagnosis that requires a delicate approach to feeding, your vet may provide a specific dietary plan that includes specialized formulas or homemade dog food
- Monitor your pet’s reaction to food, especially if you’re switching from one formula to another, as this may initially impact your pug
Feeding Schedule, Portions, and Choosing Dry or Wet Dog Food
Dry kibble or dog food is ideal for most of your pug’s meals. Adult dog food is best served as kibble for most of your pet’s diet when fully grown pug is fully grown.
Wet dog food is a great option and provides all the essential nutrients for a meal, though it can impact your pug’s digestion. If your pug is new to wet food or pate, it’s best to feed your furry friend a small portion or top with your pet’s regular kibble serving. If your puppy’s teeth haven’t fully developed, or you have a senior dog with missing teeth, soft food is an excellent option if your pug can’t chew kibble or dry food.
When pugs are between eight weeks to six months, they should be fed three times and two to three times daily after six months. As an adult dog, two meals a day is best for your pug, and fed at the same time to ensure proper digestion and healthy development.
Establishing a routine for your pug as a puppy will help prevent overeating. It’s also best to limit snacks and only offer them as a reward for obedience training or an occasional treat.
Pugs are the ideal companion pet and make excellent lap dogs. Since they have a relaxed demeanor and tend not to be as active as other breeds, they require a careful approach to their feeding schedule. Establishing a healthy diet from the start with quality dry kibble rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals is essential.
Once your pug is well adjusted to their diet, wet food toppings and high-protein snacks are a great option for supporting your pet’s development. Fortunately, plenty of great small breed formulas provide all the essential nutrients your pug puppy needs to grow and thrive.