Best Puppy Food for Goldendoodles
Goldendoodles first appeared in the 1990s, quickly becoming a popular designer breed, with purebred Golden Retriever and Poodle parents. Goldendoodle puppies have a great mix of the intelligence and athletic nature of Poodles and the playful, social character of Golden Retrievers.
They require a diet rich in protein, omega fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals, to support their growth and development as puppies and as active adult dogs. While this small dog breed isn’t completely hypoallergenic, they don’t shed much and tend to be easier for pet owners with allergies.
When you adopt a Goldendoodle puppy, you’ll find it will socialize well with families, children, and other pets. They also require training from a young age to develop healthy behaviors and a balanced diet rich in nutrients, with lots of hydration and exercise. Our best dog food choices include formulas with high-quality ingredients, veterinarian-approved blends, price, convenience, and flavor.
Best High Protein Puppy Formula for Goldendoodles
Purina Pro Plan High Protein puppy formula is a dry dog food that’s crunchy and flavorful for small to medium-sized dog breeds. It’s an excellent blend for Goldendoodles puppies within the first year, which includes a wide variety of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and animal protein.
Manufacturer: Nestle Purina Pet
Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 8.25 x 11 inches (6 pounds)
Ingredients: Lamb, chicken by-product meal, rice, whole grain corn, oatmeal, fish meal, fish oil, dried beet pulp, potassium, copper sulfate, vitamins A, B1, B12, B3, D3, K, B2, B5, calcium, garlic oil, manganese, choline, and preserved beef fat.
This puppy formula offers excellent benefits for your Goldendoodle during the early stages of its development:
- It contains high-quality protein, lamb, and rice, which supports lean muscle growth.
- It’s rich in fish oil containing DHA and omega fatty acids that promote vision and brain development.
- This formula is fortified with live probiotics and antioxidants that support immune health and digestive system development
- Vitamins A, B, calcium, and phosphorus help build strong teeth and bones while promoting your pet’s skin and coat.
Purina Pro Plan High Protein puppy formula is available in three bag sizes, including six, eighteen, and thirty-four pounds. This crunchy kibble is easy to digest, with small pellet-sized food that’s easy to pick up and chew for puppies. The lamb and rice flavors are also ideal for puppies with allergies and food sensitivities.
Best Dry Dog Food Formula for Goldendoodle Puppies
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition is a dry dog formula ideal for puppies, with small, pellet-sized kibble for easy chewing and digestion.
Manufacturer: Royal Canin
Product Dimensions: 12 x 7.5 x 4 inches (2.5 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken meal, brewers rice, chicken fat, corn, wheat gluten, potassium, vegetable oil, fish oil, dried plain beet pulp, vitamins A, B6, B12, D3, B1, B1, C, rosemary extract, copper, marigold extract, manganese, and wheat.
While this formula is designed for purebred Poodles, it’s also great for Goldendoodles and small-breed dogs.
- This dry dog kibble is specially designed for small dogs to pick up and chew their food quickly.
- It includes a wealth of antioxidants, proteins, and prebiotics for healthy immune system development.
- The formula’s fish oil, which contains DHA and EPA, helps promote healthy skin and coat development for your Goldendoodle’s curly coat.
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition formula is ideal for puppies between eight weeks and ten months, and it makes a decent serving of highly nutritious dog food for young and adult dog food diets. I found it was easy for my Goldendoodle pup to chew and digest. It’s a mild-tasting blend that’s easy for your puppy to transition from other puppy food formulas.
Best Raw-Infused Puppy Formula for Goldendoodles
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused grain-free formulas is a nutrient-rich food for puppies of all breeds and sizes, including Goldendoodles. This freeze-dried raw, natural formula promotes the development of your puppy’s joints, coat, skin, digestive system, brain and vision, and immunity.
Manufacturer: Merrick Pet Care
Product Dimensions: 27.5 x 15.75 x 27.5 inches (20.2 pounds)
Ingredients: Deboned chicken, sweet potato, turkey meal, chicken meal, chicken fat, peas, salmon, tapioca, salmon oil, chicken liver, apples, blueberries, zinc amino acid complex, taurine, vitamins B12, A, E, D3, manganese, potato protein, zinc, potassium, flaxseed, and sunflower oil.
I found this formula offers the best food for growing puppies and active adult dogs, which provides high-grade ingredients and nutrients for essential early stages of development.
- This formula is grain-free and ideal for dogs with gluten allergies and food sensitivities.
- It’s a dog food recipe rich in protein, with real deboned chicken as the first ingredient, for high-grade animal protein, which is ideal for promoting healthy energy levels, bones, joints, and muscles.
- This formula is a rich source of glucosamine, fatty acids, and chondroitin for developing healthy skin, coat, hips, and immunity.
- This raw-infused dog food is also a good source of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, with lean protein salmon and chicken.
Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused dog food is an excellent formula for puppies and adult Goldendoodle dogs, either as an occasional meal between dry kibble and wet food servings or as a regular part of your pet’s diet.
Best Natural Dog Food Formula for Goldendoodle Puppies
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Natural Formula for puppies is a fantastic blend of quality nutrients from all-natural animal protein, vegetables, and fruit-based ingredients. I found this formula is ideal for small, medium, and large breed dogs, including Goldendoodles and designer breed puppies.
Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
Product Dimensions: 25 x 16 x 5 inches (30 pounds
Ingredients: Deboned chicken, brown rice, oatmeal, barley, chicken fat, flaxseed, dried tomato pomace, dried egg product, fish oil, pea fiber, pea protein, fish meal, vegetable juice, dried kelp, turmeric, zinc, copper, vitamins A, B5, B7, B3, C, E, parsley, blueberries, manganese, taurine, chicory root, calcium, cranberries, oil of rosemary, and barley grass.
This high-quality blend of nutrients is an excellent option for puppies of all types and stages, starting from eight weeks of age.
- It contains a significant source of DHA and ARA, which promote cognitive function and retinal development.
- Real meat is the first ingredient; all ingredients are natural, including wholesome whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and animal proteins.
- There are no artificial flavors, preservatives, poultry by-products, soy, wheat, corn, or other ingredients that often cause allergic reactions or digestive issues.
- Veterinarian-supported formula includes the ideal balance of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals for all life stages of your puppy, adult, or senior dog.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Natural Formula is an excellent formula for all puppies. It was also a decent blend for adult dogs due to its protein, vegetable, and fruit-based blend, promoting healthy digestion.
Best Wet Dog Food Formula for Goldendoodle Puppies
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein natural formula is a blend of lean, quality animal proteins and nutrients for an ideal topper for dry kibble.
Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo Company Ltd.
Product Dimensions: 12 x 9 x 4.1 inches (9.4 pounds)
Ingredients: Chicken broth, turkey, chicken liver, pea protein, flaxseed, potatoes, fish oil, zinc, vitamins E, B3, B5, D3, A, B9, B2, B7, copper, iron amino acid chelate, manganese, and calcium.
This wet dog food is a tasty alternative to dry kibble, and it makes a great addition to your pet’s regular dry formula or raw, freeze-dried food.
- The main ingredients include multiple protein sources, from chicken, turkey, and vegetables.
- It contains amino acids that support cognitive development
- This wet food formula is an excellent topping on regular kibble or can be served as a treat or a complete meal on its own.
- All ingredients are from high-quality sources, and there are no fillers or artificial flavors, preservatives, corn, wheat, soy, or by-products.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein wet food is an excellent formula for puppies, especially if you’re looking to boost their protein and nutrient intake for high-energy activities. I noticed how well this formula serves as a light snack, with just a few teaspoons, and it combines rich flavors that most dogs enjoy, including picky eaters.
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Your Goldendoodle Puppy: Buyer’s Guide
Goldendoodle puppies require a steady source of high-quality proteins, minerals, vitamins, and nutrients to support their growth, especially during the early stages of life. As a new Goldendoodle owner, choosing a regular formula that’s nutrient-dense and provides ingredients from quality sources for optimal results is crucial.
If you provide occasional snacks and wet food as a topper to pellet-sized puppy kibble. Our top choices include formulas with ingredient blends that incorporate all the required nutrients for a young puppy’s growth, so you can be sure your pup receives all the essentials in its diet.
In addition to setting meal schedules, feeding portions, and monitoring your puppy’s health and diet, there are other factors important in determining how to select a good quality formula:
- Review the list of ingredients and nutrients on the dog formula package to ensure the recipe includes essential vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, prebiotics, fiber, and high protein. It’s also vital that puppy formulas contain healthy fats, which are integral to your puppy’s early development.
- Lean protein is essential, and the primary or first ingredients listed should be animal proteins, such as turkey, lamb, chicken, or other lean meats.
- Contact your veterinarian to rule out allergies or medical conditions if you notice any adverse reactions to specific formulas or blends.
- Puppy food should be easily digestible and not contain any ingredients that may irritate your Goldendoodle pup’s stomach, such as soy, corn, wheat, gluten, and preservatives. While some formulas may contain wheat, corn, and soy ingredients, which are not generally harmful, it’s good to monitor how your puppy handles these formulas, to determine if raw, freeze-dried food or another dry kibble blend is best.
At your first veterinarian visit, reviewing which dog food formulas are ideal for young puppies and will provide the top quality nutrients for optimal growth and development is best.
While it’s not necessary to buy the most expensive blends on the market, there are good options available in many pet shops, clinics, and regular stores that carry various pet food products. You can often place orders online, which is more convenient, starting with a small bag or sample, and ordering more if the formula is a good fit for your dog.
Suppose your Goldendoodle puppy doesn’t prefer certain flavors or textures in the specific dog food blend. In that case, you can introduce them to other formulas and types of puppy food, including raw, wet, and other kibble varieties.
Adding Supplements to Your Goldendoodle Puppy’s Diet
Unless your dog suffers from a chronic condition or your vet finds a significant deficiency, they typically don’t require supplements regularly. If you want to boost the nutrient level in your pup’s diet, there are many healthy, protein-rich snacks and dried foods.
If your puppy requires supplements, there are a variety of chewable tablets, powders, and foods that your veterinarian can suggest as part of a specialized diet. Puppies diagnosed with a specific medical condition or who suffer from mild to severe allergies and food sensitivities should have natural formulas that do not contain ingredients that can trigger an allergic reaction or stomach upset.
How Do I Feed My Doberman Puppy?
As a puppy, your Goldendoodle requires between three and four meals daily, in small portions, until they reach about one year or twelve months. It’s important to serve your puppy’s meals simultaneously each day to avoid overeating so that you can monitor how much they eat and whether they prefer certain foods or formulas over others.
Since puppies develop quickly and are often physically active, it’s important to provide a diet rich in amino acids, animal protein, fiber, healthy fats, and prebiotics.
If your puppy is eager to enjoy snacks between meals, it’s important to limit snacks to small portions and only treat your pup during play, training, or outdoor activities, as they can contribute to overeating and may contain preservatives that disrupt your pet’s feeding habits.
Always keep a fresh bowl of water next to your Goldendoodle puppy’s food to prevent dehydration, and promote better digestion while preventing health problems.
Goldendoodle puppies make wonderful pets for families, and with proper care, grooming, and diet, they easily thrive and enjoy a long, active life. A balanced, protein and nutrient-rich diet is essential for your Goldendoodle pup’s growth and development, and you’ll find that most dry dog formulas are easy to store, and serve, which makes them the most convenient option for your pet.
Wet and raw dog food options are also ideal, as they provide additional nutrients for a significant boost and can serve as an alternative to dry food.
If you’re considering switching from one pet food brand or formula to another, it’s best to introduce a small portion to your puppy and observe its reaction to the food before replacing it entirely. In most cases, changing food is easily done with few issues.
Overall, the content of your puppy’s food, feeding and exercise routine, and diet quality are essential in building a solid foundation for healthy growth and development into adulthood.